Y’all. What the hell is going on in the world of sex work? Between Nicki Minaj slut shaming and Kylie Jenner being regarded as “self-made” when her fame and welath was built off of someone else’s sex work, I am confused. Let me preface this by saying that I have no judgement towards people (men and women) who work in the sex industry. In the words of Chris Rock, “I understand, but I wouldn’t do it.” I just have questions. Now that that’s out of the way, I have questions regarding this scandal with the Clermont twins (Shannade and Shannon).
If you are like me and initially had no idea who these people were, a bit of background. The twin sisters rose to popularity on the now cancelled reality show Bad Girls Club. From what I gather, they didn’t engage in much of the fighting and drinking the show was known for. Instead, they used it as an opportunity to sell the Instagram level version of luxury and style that audiences gobble up these days. You know manufactured body, obligatory wig, face contoured to hell, and of course designer goods, and hi res images in cool places. They attended F.I.T. (shouts out to my alma mater) and Parsons, and created a clothing line called Mount Boudoir, and built a huge Instagram following, which lead to their inclusion in the Yeezy Season 6 shoot. Okay, I think we’re all caught up on their relevance.
Here’s where things get weird. According to the New York Post Shannade was arrested for using the debit card of a deceased man, spending a total of $20,000 on cell phone payments, clothes, and flight tickets. Apparently she and the deceased man had arranged a date for $400, and the next day the man was found dead from an apparent drug overdose of cocaine and fentanyl in his New York home. She has been charged with one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, one count of access device fraud and aggravated identity theft. She has not been charged in the death of the man.
Okay, here are my questions:
- Did the man die before or after she left his house?
- What was the logic in taking and using the debit card as if it wouldn’t be tracked back to her?
- How many phone bills were paid here?
- What is the going rate for escort dates?
- Isn’t $400 a bit cheap?
- Is there a surplus of some sort, rendering the price lower? (I didn’t do well in econ, so is that how that works?)
- Does this make the case for having a “manager” of some sort for your sex work? Not a pimp, but someone to help you decide how much you should get paid, and to vet your dates? Shouldn’t there be an Olivia Pope type fixer to handle the aftermath of a date gone wrong? I’m not saying I want to do it, but there seems to be a need here if anyone is interested in helping the sex workers of the world.
- Will Kim Kardashian rally up the troops to get her out of jail too?